Vampire Romance Books Forum » Chit-Chat » 50 Shades of Grey, your thoughts

50 Shades of Grey, your thoughts

Page: 1 2 3 4 > »

Author Post
Queen VKD, Mistress of All Who Dare Enter
Location: Analyzing the do's and don'ts of literary editorial computation!
Ok, so I broke down and read 50 Shades of Grey. Everyone was talking about it so I figure I better read it so I know what's going on and if someone asks me my opinion. Well the last time I did that it was with Twilight. (cough, hack, gag)
I will say this was well written, but the story itself was lacking as far as a D/S relationship goes. It was a very unhealthy look at what a D/S relationship is.

What did you think of it? I don't understand what the big deal is about the book to be honest. It's not the best D/S or bdsm book I've read. Is it because I read so many books with that topic?
Steffan: Good point.
Eilian: Never, ever do that in front of me again.

My Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/vkd
My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rhonda.valverde

User posted image
ELDER
I only started the first yesterday but I'm having serious questions about the Dom though.. The way he wants to tell her what to do with EVERYTHING? I always thought it was only supposed to be when they are in their D/S setting... I haven't read that much BDSM D/S yet but still.. I thought one of the basics was respect and for now I'm kind of missing this.. I wonder how it will evolve...

My Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/qcavaliers
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/qcavaliers

Ladies, let me put this straight.. From now on, BONES is MINE! So stay away! Or deal with the consequences! :twisted:

User posted image
I've read all three and I have to agree with you. I was expecting much more from it. From what I read, I expected it to be heavy bdsm and all we got was a dom that was more bully than anything and that changed his ways wayyyy too fast!

Now, storywise, it was OK, not the best but not the worst lovestory i've read. I thought the writing was good but frankly, I've read fanfiction that's better written than this

I do think that if you're used to reading these kind of books, this one is subpar. If you really want to read bdsm, they are much better books out there.

Frankly, I don't get the whole media circus around this book. It's like journalists suddenly discover that you can spank someone in a romance book and that the reader actually likes it...
ELDER
I liked it, but I agree with you ladies. It was like in the beginning here's this hot dom, and they go through the legal stuff. Then when she says no, he's all um ok cool i'm going to change everything about myself. Lol. But, I do think he's sexy.....She sorta bugs me though...

Currently Reading:
Immortals AFter Dark!! :twisted:

Next Up:No Clue yet!!

Love the brothers!!!

User posted image
ELITE ELDER WIELDER OF WICKEDNESS
well, as usual, I didn't read all that much into the book. I LOVED them. I also loved Twilight.
and for the general edification of the group--this trilogy WAS a fanfic when it was first created and shared.

I think the media went completely out of control with this, as it does with most things. But in this case, I'm not sure that it was completely unfounded. I enjoyed the story, and once I realized it was her fanfic based on Twilight, it made more sense.

However, I read the books while not comparing to Twilight. I wanted to learn about these characters on their own, not because they were supposed to be "Edward and Bella"
I didn't look at this book as a BDSM book, but rather a romance with some BDSM thrown in.

I enjoyed the steam and the electricity between Christian and Ana--I thought the author did a fantastic job with the anticipation and the lust. I found it wonderful that Grey was willing to take a deeper look into himself to become a better man for Ana. And the same with her.

There were a few times in the third book I was tired of Ana's insecurity and her need to be headstrong just to prove a point, but overall, I really did enjoy the books.
I could certainly put Mr. Christian Grey on my pet list.
as a matter of fact, I think I will. :twisted:

Now fuck off and let me bask in the glory of being me.

www.shelfari.com/ilovevampires
User posted image
ELITE ELDER
The book is so popular, you know a movie is on the way. Hmmm, what bad boy hottie might be playing Christian Grey *wagging eyebrows*?......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgz60174jo&feature=player_embedded

User posted image
I'd definitly go see the movie if he was playing Grey!
ELITE ELDER Queen's Lead Reviewer
I wonder if he will get the role, that would be interesting! :twisted:

Twitter @drktwistedbliss
goodreads.com/darktwistedbliss
Facebook /darktwistedbliss

User posted image
Elder
I havent read the books... but it seems I may have to at this point hopefully I wont be too disappointed
Oh... he would be the perfect Christian... yes please...

Currently Reading:
Immortals AFter Dark!! :twisted:

Next Up:No Clue yet!!

Love the brothers!!!

User posted image
no matter who they choose to be Christian Grey, he will NEVER live up the man of my imagination.

neither did Edward (gags at rpatz)

User posted image
Elder
but PHANTOM!!!! he Loves you so much he SPARKLES!!!!

User posted image
hehehe you did manage to make me giggle, LoF :)

*smacks Lof's tush* but he's NOT Edward

User posted image
Elder
*RPats throws himself to the feet of Pantom and cry's out "But my skin is like diamonds!
*Phantom gives him a disgusted look and kicks him straight in his chest with her black stiletto boots* "You are nothing but a crying little boy with too much eye liner and silver glitter!" Then Walks out of the room.

RPats comes crawling to me like a little lost puppy asking if there is any way he can redeem himself because there just is no way he could live knowing that Phantom has nothing but disgust for him.

Going against all of my instincts I feel so sorry for the pathetic little boy. I call out to the two men in the castle who could possibly give the little disco ball a chance. "Viscous, Bones! Get in here!!!"

With those two names being called from my lips Lusty ran into the room with a huge grin on her face just as V and Bones appeared. "whats going on in here?" she asked

With a devious smile I nodded to poor little RPats... "Ohh these two sex gods are going to make a man out of him" Do you want to watch Lusty?
If I stay very quietly in a corner, can I watch too?

Pretty please :lol:
Dammit, LoF! I was just about to sit down to a game of Pictionary with them!

*giggles* I love how V can only draw stick figures and Bones gets too excited when he's trying to guess what the hell it is that V just drew.*

*takes Butch's hand* come on Loverboy. Looks like it's me and you for a few minutes. Wonder what we could do while those two try hopelessly to turn that boy into anything useful? *bats eyelashes*

*growling low in his throat, Butch wraps his arm, the one holding my hand, around my back and leans over* Oh, I'm sure we can find something to occupy the time. *wags eyebrows as he eyes the Wii remotes*

BOWLING!!

User posted image
Elder
of course you can watch B! it should be interesting to say the least :twisted:
*Takes a seat on Spade's lap and starts drawing circles on his bare chest with my finger* This is going to be ineresting! Where is the popcorn?

Twitter @drktwistedbliss

User posted image
Elder
Good thinking on bringing spade lusty...I think ill call down Zsadist, besides he can bring in the chains and such right?
Location: Having some playtime in the centaur pen,then after that it's off to the merman tank ;)
I LOVE 50 Shades...it's my new obsession :).
Let's take a break from Edward's lessons in manhood so that he can reflect a little bit before V and Bones really start teaching him...

...did you guy see Ellen reading from 50 shades? soooo funny

http://youtu.be/on3JCwnwHbU

...and I hear a little whimper which probably means V must have gotten the black candles out to try and get rid of that damn sparkle :twisted:
Elder
I love Ellen! That was fantastic B! I was cracking up the entire time!
Oh god.. im going to have to read this now lol, i used to love twilight back when that was all i knew of this genre but i have moved so far on from that now that if i look back at the book it seems a toddler wrote it lol but we shall give this one a go i guess.
kimberleyanddarren wrote
Oh god.. im going to have to read this now lol, i used to love twilight back when that was all i knew of this genre but i have moved so far on from that now that if i look back at the book it seems a toddler wrote it lol but we shall give this one a go i guess.

Yep, that's how many of us got our start on the good stuff now. Twilight is how I discovered my insatiable lust for vampires, and how I came here. (hence the former name ILoveEdwardCullen, or ILEC)

User posted image
ELITE ELDER Queen's Lead Reviewer
Thanks for the post B! That was funny, "You shouldn't use a spatula for that!" LMFAO! :twisted:

Twitter @drktwistedbliss

User posted image

Page: 1 2 3 4 > »

Vampire Romance Books Forum » Chit-Chat » 50 Shades of Grey, your thoughts